Five Honda Models Are Named IIHS Top Safety Picks
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has announced its yearly Top Safety Pick (TSP) and Top Safety Pick+ (TSP+) vehicles. These vehicles are the pinnacle of safety on the road today and come equipped with some of the latest safety features, including brand new this year, advanced vehicle-to-pedestrian front crash prevention features.
Five Honda models have earned the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK (TSP) rating or better for 2023, with three of those models achieving the pinnacle TOP SAFETY PICK+ (TSP+) rating, including the all-new for 2023 models Honda HR-V and CR-V. Here is the full list of winners:
Contributing to the top ratings, each of the five models feature Honda Sensing driver-assistive and safety technology as standard equipment, earning "SUPERIOR" ratings for vehicle-to-vehicle frontal crash prevention.
Honda Sensing is now available or standard on every Honda vehicle model, and there are over one million Honda vehicles on Canadian roads today, featuring these comprehensive suites of safety and driver-assistive technologies, which include:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with Pedestrian Detection
- Forward Collision Warning
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) incorporating Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).
All Honda vehicles benefit from Honda's proprietary Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure, designed to protect occupants in a wide variety of frontal collisions, along with advanced supplemental restraint systems, such as pre-tensioning front seatbelts, and front, side, knee and side-curtain airbags.
How Does IIHS Choose the Top Safety Picks?
Here are the requirements to be a Top Safety Pick +:
- Good ratings in the driver- and passenger-side small overlap front tests and original moderate overlap front test
- Good rating in the updated side test
- Acceptable or good headlights standard
- Advanced or superior rating for daytime vehicle-to-pedestrian front crash prevention
- Advanced or superior rating for nighttime vehicle-to-pedestrian front crash prevention